Skip to content ↓

Bad Weather

Bad Weather Plan / Academy Closures

We want to ensure that in the event of heavy snowfall or extreme weather conditions, suitable measures are in place to enable our academy to remain open. It will always be a priority to remain open in order to maintain uninterrupted student learning. We will endeavour to work to ensure that the site is safe for students, colleagues and visitors.

This plan aims to:

  • keep students and staff aware of our priorities in extreme weather conditions;
  • keep parents/carers updated on our methods of communication;
  • prevent students and colleagues from being stranded at the Academy;
  • reduce unnecessary risks;
  • reduce accidents in the Academy.


In the event of heavy snowfall, where the Academy is unable to guarantee a full capacity of staff, a decision will be taken by the Principal and Trust Chief Executive whether to close the Academy. Where no updates have been provided parents and students should assume that the Academy is open as normal. However, if a decision is made to close, this will be communicated to parents/carers and colleagues. Please make sure that your contact details are up-to-date and notify the Academy of any changes immediately.

Academy Closure

In the event of Academy closure, a member of staff will, where possible, be available on site to ensure that messages and communication are maintained for the first few hours of closure; thereafter the Academy site will be closed and unmanned. A full programme of lessons will be taught virtually via Microsoft Teams.

Decisions taken by the Principal and Trust Chief Executive will be communicated by one or more of the following means:

  • text message and email to parents/carers via Edulink;
  • published on the Academy website;
  • via our Academy social media Twitter - @BBGAcademy;
  • published on the local authority as soon as possible;
  • message on key local radio stations.

Academy Closure during the Academy Day

In the event of heavy snowfall during the academy day, a decision will be taken by the Principal and Trust Chief Executive whether the Academy should remain open or not, taking into account the safety of all students and staff. If a decision is made for an early closure, the communication methods will remain the same as in full academy closure.